This project is read-only.

Installation

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Hi Nick

I cannot find any files after installing the .msi file. I have changed the installation path, but with the same result.
How do i get it to install, which files are installed and wich steps are needed after installation to get it working?

Many Thanks!

Mark

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Hi Mark,

The simple answer to your question is that the installation is to the following locaiton:

• [AppData]\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls\10.0

This location is where Visual Studio / Team Explorer looks for any custom controls that are required for a specific TFS work item type.

Installation isn't quite so straight foward as just running the installer.  This installer for TFS Timesheets is intended as the client side install - you also need to configure the Timesheet to be part of the work item on your TFS 2010 server as well.

At a high level, the installation process is as follows:

1. Configure the work item in TFS
  2. Install the client components (this installer) on each of the developer machines
  3. Test by opening a new work item on the client machine.  Note that the work item does get cached, so it sometimes pays to restart Visual Studio if your changes are not seen.

More details about how to setup the work item etc for the timesheet control are available here:

http://nickhoggard.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/tfs-2010-beta-2-custom-work-item-controls-step-1-getting-started/

I think this does raise the point though that I need to get a 'getting started' document completed over the next couple of weeks.

Please let me know how it goes - I'm keen to hear any feedback you might have.

Regards,

Nick

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:46 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.